Tuesday, July 9, 2013

7 Silly Questions w/ Enemy From Space!


Brilliant electronic artist Enemy From Space (aka mild manner math professor Kelly Shane) is a busy, busy man, and has been for decades. For a quarter of a century, he has been the go to man for his outstanding drumming and electronic music programming abilities. He has worked with everyone from Jandek to producers Don Fleming and David Barbe. Thingmo Records just reissued the debut EFS full-length record Abstractions! If that wasn't enough, he is currently one half of the electropop duo Your Fuzzy Friends, which also has a new vinyl release today. Despite being so busy, we were able to trap EFS in a broom closet and didn't let him out until he answered our highly ridiculous questions.



What's the most embarrassing band you loved as a kid?
Enemy: I don't think I really loved any bands until becoming a teenager, no longer a kid, so no excuse for my bad taste then. I was more into singles as a youngster. I did like the Eagles as a kid, but puberty put an end to that-- they were too laid back.

What is the first record you bought?
Enemy: I think it might have been Steve Martin's "Let's Get Small." I was a comedy nerd before becoming a music nerd.

Unicorns vs. Narwhals? Who would win in a fight?
Enemy: I deny this false dichotomy! (But you know in your heart it's narwhals.)

What is the funniest thing that has happened to you on the road?
Enemy: I was touring with Invaders From a Forbidden Planet and Newsboy Legion in the late 90s, playing drums in both bands. After a week in a van with little sleep or personal space and a lot of off-color, surreal humor, the Legion's bass player yelled, "Enough with the dick jokes!" in the middle of a crowded Wendy's. I'm sure the families at the nearby tables were a little unnerved.

Your music depends heavily on technology and keyboards. How often does your gear betray you?
Enemy: I am afraid to answer this question truthfully, or it may jinx my equipment. Often enough. That's one reason I play drums live, because my technological skills with physical equipment, as opposed to virtual computer tools, are comparable to Fred Flintstone's. (That and I am a lousy keyboardist.)

Who is in heavy rotation on your iPod?
New Boards of Canada and Queens of the Stone Age. Hardcore Devo. Grimes. Voivod. An exotica album by Robert Drasnin I recently discovered. Lots of Firesign Theatre, William S. Burroughs and The Residents.

What is the worst song you ever covered?
I played in a band that did "The Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams for a charity event. It was for a good cause.


No comments: